It is through the refunds mechanism that the paid amount is returned to the consumer, and the process is the same for orders paid with Pix or NuPay. A new refund can be requested on the Merchant Dashboard, on the VTEX Admin or using the refunds API integration.
In summary, the refund flow consists of checking the available amount from previously captured transactions before executing. After this verification, the refund amount is processed, regardless of the payment method.
The amount is refunded directly to the consumer in the original payment source, which means:
- Deposit to the original account for orders paid with Pix or NuPay debit.
- Credit on the current credit card bill for orders paid with NuPay credit.
In cases where there is an available amount for the refund to be executed, the amount immediately returns to the end consumer, and this process cannot be canceled or reversed.
NuPay for Business does not provide any kind of credit to carry out refunds, relying solely on the e-commerce's performance to have the refund value available and complete the refund process.
It is allowed to request partial refunds, as long as the sum of the partial refunds does not exceed the total amount of the original payment.
If your e-commerce needs to request multiple refunds at once, the refunds will be prioritized and executed in the order of request.
For VTEX clients, our refund process is integrated with the platform. When a reversal is requested through VTEX Admin, it will trigger a refund on NuPay for Business. This integration cannot be disabled. Partial refunds are not supported through this channel yet.
How to request a refund
- Login to the NuPay for Business Merchant Dashboard - https://painel.nupaybusiness.com.br/
- The following roles are allowed to request refunds through the Merchant Dashboard: Administrator, Financial and Operations.
- Go to the "Pedidos" section.
- Locate the order that will be refunded by searching by the order number, TID, buyer's CPF, date, or value.
- After locating the order, click on the arrow icon to the left of the order number to access the order details.
- Click on the "Estornar pedido" button. A modal window will open.
- This action only appears for orders in the "completed" ("Completo") status
- In the "Valor do estorno" field, set which amount (full or partial) you want to refund to the customer.
- The "Observações" field is free to type and you can use it to add any observation about this refund. The customer will not see this.
- A confirmation message will appear. Check if the refund information is correct, as it won't be possible to cancel or update later.
- When it's confirmed, the amount will be returned to the customer. The page doesn't refresh automatically, reload the page to see the updated information.
- A refund recipe will be available to download for successful refunds.
Errors during refunds execution
In some cases of errors, it is possible to retry the refund request, which may be successfully completed, such as in the case of "Operation failure" errors, for example.
- Insufficient balance
When a refund cannot be completed due to insufficient funds, the NuPay for Business system automatically retries to refund the amount throughout the day as new payments are completed.
- A refund of R$ 50.00 was requested at 01:00 on 01/04/2023, but there was not enough balance to process the refund at that moment. The refund status remains as REFUNDING.
- A new attempt to refund will be made by the e-commerce until 23:59 on 01/04/2023
- If new orders are authorized on 01/04/2023, and the total amount is equal to or greater than the refund amount, the refund is processed, and the amount is returned to the consumer. The refund status is updated to REFUNDED.
- If the sum of the new orders is still less than the refund amount, this refund will be canceled, and a new one should be created on 02/04/2023, following the same logic. The refund status will be updated to ERROR with the type INSUFFICIENT_FUNDS.